It's not often you come across a loaf of bread which is both unusual and perfect. Unusual, because this bread is red. And that's because it has tomato paste in it. And perfect for them same reason. The tomato paste not only paints the bread a bright red color, but also gives it a savory flavor while at the same time add moisture. That makes this bread absolutely perfect for say, a steak sandwich, or maybe roast beef. Also, if you prefer, this bread would be great for sandwiches with a sharp cheddar cheese and some extra fort moutarde. Yummy! The best part is how east it is to make.
Here's What You'll Need:1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. butter or margarine
1/2 Tbs. active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
3 oz. (about 100g) tomato paste
2 1/4 cups bread flour
egg white for glaze
poppy seeds for garnish
Here's What You'll Need to Do:
1. Mix together the salt, sugar, softened butter or margarine, yeast, tomato paste and the warm water.
2. Mix in 2 cups of the flour to make a soft dough.
3. Place the rest of the dough on a tabletop then remove the dough from the bowl and knead in the remaining flour. You may need to add even a bit more flour. The dough will remain very soft.
4. Form the dough into a loaf, then place it into a prepared loaf pan about 8.5 X 4.5 (21.5 X11cm).
Let the dough rise, covered, until it fills the pan. At least an hour, maybe more.
5. Bake at 375 F (190 C) for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
6. I told you it was easy, now taste it. Delicious!!