Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Basis Artisan Bread - An English Bloomer


I have to admit that I came across this bread quite by accident. I was doing something I do a lot. I mean, I DO THIS A LOT! Search for recipes, especially for bread. Only recently I found a recipe for a 'tartine-like' bread a la Chad Robertson. Not his recipe, but apparently close enough. I will need a bit more time to get up the courage to try this bread. In the meantime, with my 'research' I found this bread. An English bloomer, so-called because it expands on the slash lines as it bakes and so it 'blooms'.

As you can see by my latest offerings, I have entered a 'European' phase with breads and this one fits perfectly. It's origin is England. It is a peasant bread with a slightly chewy crust and a soft moist crumb. Very stable, not at all crumbly and so it makes great sandwiches and even better toast. Yum!

Here's What You'll Need:
  • 500g/1lb 2oz strong white flour, plus extra for kneading
  • 10g/¼oz salt
  • 1 x 7g package of instant yeast
  • 320ml/11½oz cold water
  • 40ml/1½fl oz olive oil, plus extra for kneading
  • extra oil and flour, for kneading

    Here's What You'll Need To Do:

    1. Mix together the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, then slowly, while mixing by hand, add the water. You may not need all of it. Mix just until you have a shaggy dough. It will be sticky.

    2. Remove the dough to a lightly-oiled surface (OLIVE OIL, PLEASE) and knead vigorously for 8-10 minutes. The dough will slowly become smooth and elastic.

    3. Place the kneaded dough in a lightly-oiled bowl, turn to coat, then cover to rise until at least doubled. This could be up to 2 hours.

    4. Remove the dough from the bowl, punch down to remove the air, then shape into a tight 'torpedo shape. Spray with oil, lightly, then cover to rest and rise again, this time for about 45 minutes, until half again its original size.

    5. Preheat the oven to 400F/190C. Just before baking, spray the loaf with water. Sprinkle some flour over the top. Then slash the bread 3 or 4 times. 

    6. Bake with steam for 30 minutes. Then lower the heat to 350F/180C and continue baking for another 10 minutes. The bread is done when it sounds hollow when it's tapped on the bottom.

    7. Cool on a rack.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I love happy surprises and your letters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked the post. I have been doing this for a few years now and am still having lots of fun. I see you have joined us. I'd love to hear more from you as more posts go online. Have a great day...
      David

      Delete