Sunday, October 13, 2013

Whole Wheat Buttery Dinner Rolls


It is early on a Sunday afternoon and I am sitting in front of my computer taking a well-needed and well deserved rest. Yesterday was hectic, even though on the weekend you are supposed to slow down a little. I spent most of the day driving to visit some new friends (and then back home, of course). Only then did I discover what seemed like an impossibility - I was out of bread! By then it was late, and, as I said, I was VERY tired. So it was off to bed and a few hours of sleep. This morning, still without bread in the house, I resolved that I had to do something, and fast.

So I turned to an old standby - a recipe you can put together quickly (about 3 hours start to finish) and you will have the most delicious dinner rolls you've ever tasted. Soft, buttery and they can be served while still warm. I have substituted about one third of the AP flour with whole wheat, just to add some fiber, and to intensify the wheaty flavor. But if you want, just use all AP flour. These rolls are guaranteed to pleasepretty much anybody.

Here's What You'll Need:

3 1/4 cups AP flour (or substitute 1 cup with whole wheat)
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 Tbs. butter, softened
1 Tbs dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. butter, melted

Here's What You'll Need To Do:

1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour(s), the sugar, salt and yeast.

2. Lightly beat the egg, mix in the softened butter, then add to the dry ingredients.

3. Add the water, slowly, while mixing by hand. Add just enough to make a slightly sticky dough. If you have used whole wheat flour, it may take just a little more water, as the whole wheat absorbs more.

4. Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface, and knead by folding and stretching, vigorously for at least 5 minutes. Ten is better. The final dough will be slightly sticky and very smooth.

5. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, then cover and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled. This will take at least 1 1/2 hours.

6. Remove the dough from the bowl to a smooth surface and deflate. Divide the dough into about 10 equal pieces and place on a lined baking sheet. If you want to have softer rolls, place them closer together . Or if you prefer rolls that are just a little crustier, place them so they will not touch after the second rise.

7. Brush the rolls with melted butter, then cover and let the rolls rise for about 30 minutes.

8. About 15 minutes before baking time, preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F).

9. Bake for about 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. If you wish you can brush them with more melted butter when they emerge from the oven and are still warm.

10. Cool on a rack. They can be served while still warm (and are absolutely delicious, with butter, jam, cheese, or really, just about anything!)


5 comments:

  1. I love making dinner rolls. This is the post I found that brought me to y our blog. Nice bakes. Everything you make looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you so much for the kind words. And welcome to breadmanTalking.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the welcome. I have you on my Baker's & Cooks blogroll. Hopefully the feed starts to work correctly, as you still show your last post was three years ago.

      Happy Baking.

      Delete
    3. Don't know why it shows the wrong date. But let's see what happens when I put up a new post, which should be sometime this week. Thanks for adding me to your Baker's Blogroll. It the problem persists I'll try and figure this out.

      Delete